Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Parents visit

Brody, Hunter,Jordan, and Katherine at the Bull Fight. For those of you who know how close Hunter is to Evan S. (CA neighbor), he has found his "Evan" in Okinawa. They are together all the time, playing baseball, basketball, climbing trees or riding bikes. I thought he would never find someone like Evan but I am happy to report that we have a little piece of Evan here.

It has been awhile since my last post but we have had company. My parents came in for 2 weeks. The timing was perfect because they got to see Joe before he left. They were able to see the boys play their last games of football and got to see the new soccer season start. We climb some ruins and visited a castle and also had a 7.0 earthquake and a tsunami warning. What a great visit to Okinawa!!
This guy wore that hat the entire bull fight.

Yes, we had an earthquake! Saturday morning we were all awaken at 5:30am to the house shaking and the sound of a freight train coming through the house. It seemed like it lasted forever!! Needless to say no one went back to bed. Nothing fell off the walls (no one messes with my concrete bunker) but the lights were swinging. Then on Sunday, they (Base) issued a tsunami warning, expected to hit at 3:10 pm. We grabbed our drinks and headed outside to experience this. The loud speakers started announcing that places below a certain height were to evacuate to higher ground. Since we live on a hill, we didn't have to go anywhere. So we waited and waited....nothing. So the warning came and went without any action.
Hunter wanted nothing to do with the bull, Brody didn't really care.

We also went and saw the 8th & I Silent Drill Team and the Drum and Bugle Corps. No, this is not an every year occurrence, the big wig of the Marine Corps was here so base pulled out all the stops. Everyone enjoyed the evening and that might have been the highlight of the visit. We went to a bull fight. As my mom said "It was okay, I would have liked to have seen more blood". It was interesting but we only saw 3 fights and the bulls were on a leash.




Joe has left for his year tour. I have his address for those who would like to send him mail. Just let me know. The boys and I are settling back into our routine. This weekend we are going to Tokyo for Hunter's swim meet. I will let everyone know how it goes.

No comments: