Thursday, December 17, 2009

Merry Christmas from the Air Force

The house in question!!

Yes, you read the title correctly! The Air Force has given us an early (unwanted) Christmas present. Dec. 16th as I sit on the floor folding laundry, the doorbell rings. As I am opening the door, Kinjo (works with housing maintenance) is about to tape something to my door. He hands me the letter, that has my housing address on it, and says "they (housing) are going to have to move you, your ceiling unsafe." Now, he could have just handed me the letter and let me read it on my own but he tells me that we will have to move and if I have any questions, call the number on the paper. QUESTIONS! YES, I HAVE QUESTIONS!! Apparently, there are about 15 houses that have a wool cement ceiling that needs to be fix and they can't do it while we are living in the house. SO, they want to move everyone, within the next 3 months, to the towers (apartments) on Kinser (20 minutes away).

To catch some of you up, this is the same ceiling, one year ago, that we had replaced because we had cement pieces falling down. The entire living area was redone. They checked the rest of the house and said that those ceilings were fine. In August, I get home from vacation and find my kitchen ceiling sagging in the corner. Maintenance was called and after every engineer and architect looked at it, they said that it didn't need to be repaired. We have a year and a half left on this tour, I have been living in the house with a new ceiling for about a year and now you are telling me that I need to move because of the ceiling?!!

So, not only is Joe deploying on January 3rd, the kids and I are suppose to move from our support system and friends (that will be needed while he is away) so our house can sit vacant until they get around to fixing it. There are 2 houses down the street that need the ceiling repaired and nothing has been done to them since they moved the family out almost a year ago. Now don't get me wrong, if I hear the pieces of ceiling falling or my ceiling starts to sag again, I'll move but it has been fixed!!! The military is known to "hurry up and then wait"- they will move everyone out and then the houses will sit for a long time.

I am not the one handling the situation (I know you will be happy dad!!) Joe is. He seems to have a more level head and won't start crying to the people! But if his level headedness doesn't work, I am going in there with 2 crying kids and a hysterical mother and then we will see if they make us move. I might get committed to the mental ward but at least I tried. I will keep you all informed about the situation!!! Merry Christmas to all!!


The new ceiling we got about a year ago.

No comments: